At Thames Water, we know that interviews can be stressful and that you may be nervous. Calm your nerves and think of it more as a conversation. To help you out, follow our top tips:
Telephone interview must dos:
- Show us the real you - Yes, we want you to answer a few questions for us but we also want to hear the real you, so make sure you tell us as much information as possible about you and your hobbies and any challenges and skills you have that are relevant to this scheme
- Know your CV – We may have some questions on this and will use this to find out more about you and your skills
- Do your research on our company and our apprenticeship – We want you to know what kind of apprenticeship you are applying for your knowledge of our company and history to show us that Thames Water is the place for you
- Know what you want – You want to be an apprentice, that we know, but why and where do you envisage yourself further down the line once fully qualified and what are you going to do to get there?
- Have confidence in what you are saying – If you don’t believe in what you are saying we won’t either. Be confident and enthusiastic; don’t be afraid to show us how much this opportunity would mean to you
- Answer using the STAR format - (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to make sure you give enough detail and answer in a well-structured order
- Ask questions – If there is anything you are unclear about or you simply just want to know what it’s like to work her, just ask. We want to make sure you have all the information you need
Example question and answers
Read some of our common questions and tips on how to answer them most effectively.
Why do you want to work at Thames Water?
Why Thames Water and not somewhere else?
What do you know about Thames Water?
Why do you want the role you have applied for, why does it interest you and why will you will be good at it?
What qualities you will bring to Thames Water?
How your values match ours
Tell us about your greatest achievement
What is it and why are you so proud of it?
How did you get there?
What challenges did you face along the way and how did you overcome them?
Would you do anything differently if you were to do it again?
Whilst considering all of the above we need to see heaps of enthusiasm and passion for us to understand why it is your greatest achievement.
Tell me about a time when you went the extra mile for a customer
Tell us about why customers are so important.
What did you do? (Follow the STAR method)
Why was this above and beyond what you would usually do?
What impact did this have for you, your customer and any other parties involved?
Is there anything that could be done differently if you did this again?
How did this make you feel?