Our Executive team is responsible for the day-to-day running of the business and is made up of the Interim Executive Chairman and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) as well as seven functional directors.
Ian Marchant - Interim Executive Chairman
Chief Financial Officer/Executive Director
Appointed: March 2017
- Strong expertise in leading the execution of multi-billion-pound funding, primarily in the public debt capital markets and creating sustainable financing structures to support corporate sustainability aims
- Valuable utility experience combined with public policy exposure
Brandon brings substantial financial leadership success to his role as Chief Financial Officer having spent three years of a ten-year tenure as Managing Director of Finance at regulated energy company, SSE Plc. While in post he led the execution of more than £7 billion of funding and initiated a finance transformation programme.
Richard Aylard CVO
Appointed: October 2002
- 30 years spent driving sustainability and supporting companies to transform their approach to environmental protection and community engagement
- Significant experience and understanding of Government and NGOs and the creation of mutually beneficial partnerships
Richard directs our corporate sustainability approach, helping the business to build on its social and green credentials. He has a long history in the sustainability sector having worked as an independent consultant and as European Environment Director and Head of CSR at international corporate communications consultancy, Burson-Marsteller.
He is a retired British Royal Naval Officer and from 1991-1996 he was the Private Secretary to the Prince of Wales. Richard is Area President of the Institute of Water, an Honorary Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Water and Environmental Management and Chair of the Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor charity.
Digital, Strategy and Transformation Director
Appointed: September 2017
- Experience driving complex change in regulated companies
- Proven background using digital technology to create customer obsessed businesses
John directs digital transformation and strategy with a focus on improving customer outcomes and reducing operating costs. He leads strategy development, IT, data analytics and the application of digital technologies across the business.
Prior to Thames Water he spent 12 years directing customer focused and operation-led transformations as a Partner at Bain & Company where he worked expansively in the digital and technology space across a variety of infrastructure-heavy industries. His early career was spent at Deloitte and PA Consulting.
Human Resources Director
Appointed: June 2010
- Successful track record of leading organisation change and accelerating business transformation through leadership and differentiated talent models
- Career long expertise promoting and developing talent in a STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) led environment
Janet has responsibility for the design and implementation of the people strategy to ensure that Thames Water has the right people and capability in the right roles, performing at their best.
She is an experienced HR Director having previously held senior positions in the retail sector and the automotive industry for companies such as Carlsberg Tetley, Hyundai UK and Volvo Car Corporation. Janet is a Board Director of the London Design and Engineering UTC (University Technical College).
Strategy and Regulation Director
Appointed: April 2011
- Substantial expertise in competition and economic regulation gained from experience on both sides of the regulatory fence across power, gas, aviation, mail and water sectors
- Significant knowledge of business operations in complex regulatory environments
Nick leads engagement with Ofwat and other external authorities. He is responsible for maintaining compliance with current regulation, whilst engaging on the future regulatory agenda.
Prior to Thames Water, he was of Director of Economic Regulation and Competition Policy at the Civil Aviation Authority where he helped pioneer the use of ‘constructive engagement‘ in price control reviews and successfully promoted the deregulation of Manchester and Stansted airports. Nick has also held senior positions at a number of economic regulators including Ofgem, OFFER, Ofgas and Postcomm.
Asset Management Director
Appointed: October 2011
- Extensive expertise within the water industry over 30 years
- Substantial experience leading infrastructure-based operations
Lawrence leads our asset management capability ensuring we have a deliverable asset management plan. He has had a number of senior leadership positions across Thames Water and was, most recently, the Chief Operating Officer.
Prior to this he was Managing Director for Wastewater and has also held the positions of Asset Director and Capital Delivery Director where he led the delivery of the company’s £1 billion annual capital programme.
Customer Experience Director
Appointed: January 2017
- Demonstrable track record in customer experience transformation within complex, regulated businesses
- Strong leadership capability to deliver digitally-led, agile customer service operations focused on first-time issue resolution
Kelly is responsible for all Thames Water customer interfaces and teams including residential metering, billing and service support, and Non-Household and Developer Service operations.
She previously held a number of senior operational roles at Openreach, the infrastructure division of BT Group and a variety of key regulatory, commercial and operational roles for companies including Deloitte Consulting, Tiscali and npower. Kelly is a Vice President of the Institute of Customer Service.
Chief Operating Officer
Appointed: April 2017
- Significant experience of the water industry over 25 years
- Proven track record of improving performance and delivering strong operational results
Steve oversees the efficient running of water and wastewater operations. He is responsible for delivering high quality drinking water and reducing leakage, alongside safely processing wastewater, transforming it into renewable power and returning clean water to our rivers.
His career has been dedicated to the water sector. Not only has he held senior leadership positions across Thames Water, he has also worked at Southern Water and MWH Australia.